This is my family's recipe that my dad would make for us every Sunday morning....and it's just delicious!
So here are the "top secret" steps to creating this delectable treat
1. Gather your ingredients
2. Grease and flour 8X8 dish, and start melting the butter
3. Cream the sugar, shortening, and egg.
4. Mix together the dry ingredients (for the batter), then alternately add dry ingredients and milk to the batter
5. Spread 1/2 of the batter into pan, set aside the other half. Mix up the streusal topping and add the melted butter to it.
6. Crumble 1/2 of streusal mixture on to the layer of batter. Repeat the batter and streusal layer.
7. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick will come out clean. Try not to bake too long, it can come out a little crunchy!
It just makes my mouth water thinking about it!
Here are the specs:
3/4 c. sugar 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. shortening 2 Tablespoons flour
1 egg 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 c. milk 2 Tablespoons melted butter
1.5 c. flour 1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
-This recipe can easily be doubled (use a 13X9 pan)
-Be very patient when spreading the batter....I don't think it spreads very easily...and I get frustrated quickly! (it's worth it in the end!)
Good luck and enjoy it!