Monday, January 11, 2010

The story of the flaming pop tart...

Let me let you all in on a little secret.

My husband + toasters = bad news

Maybe I should modify that equation:

My husband + pop tarts + toasters = bad news.

Now, here's the story about the flaming pop tart.

I used to have a toaster. I had it for oh 5ish years (i think). It was a good toaster. It never let me down. It wasn't really expensive, but it got the job done.

Well, fast forward 4 1/2 ish years. I am now married, living in Tucson, and have a husband who doesn't know how to work a toaster. He tries to cook a pop tart one day, it breaks inside said toaster, and he basically mashes all the pop tart innards into the toaster.

Well instead of spending hours trying to clean it, or watch my husband try to electrocute himself, I make the decision that the toaster has lived a good life, and retire it to my trash can.

Now before you tell me how wasteful that was, please understand that my sanity and time is worth more than a 20-30 dollar toaster. Please don't judge me. I felt bad enough doing myself.

Ok anyways, fast forward to Christmas. My mother-in-law, Marmie, heard of our toaster plight and we got a fancy toaster.....



We were happy to have something to make our bread and pop tarts warms and toasty, PLUS it added our favorite disney characters to said pastries!

So my husband decided to use it upon our return to Tucson. It was a typical morning. Rhett was downstairs getting his lunch ready and fixing his breakfast. I was upstairs getting ready. Well, I started to smell something, but didn't pay much attention. I then headed downstairs to complete my morning routine, when Rhett shared with me a story of his recent adventure.

He apparently put 2 pop tarts in the new toaster, and then continued to get things ready. He made his lunch, stared at the wall for a bit, and started to get the juice out. He took the cap off the juice and then smelled something burning. He turned around and smoke was billowing out of the toaster. Knowing that 1. the smoke detectors were about to go off, and 2. the pop tarts were 2 seconds away from catching on fire, he ran and put the toaster outside.

He then proceeded to shake the juice up (without the lid on) and probably curse. Because honestly, that's what I would have done.

But by golly, those blackened pop tarts had mickey's face on them!


13 comments:

Marissa said...

At least they are festive burned pop tarts lol!!!

Amber Joy said...

Maybe Rhett needs to read the manual.

katie beth said...

LOL.

Oh man. Looks like your gonna need to start making Rhett's poptarts. Or maybe just start buying toaster strudels. Their commercials always show very pleasant, easy mornings.

Marmie said...

DO NOT LET RHETT AROUND ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES ADULT SUPERVISION!!! SORRY THAT I DIDN'T WARN YOU ABOUT THIS BEFORE.

Lil' Woman said...

He shouldnt be able to use the toaster without wifey supervision..lol :)

Amanda said...

This made me laugh out loud. Thank you for sharing the story! I hope the toaster survived.

Lacey Jo said...

LOL!!! Oh man that is too funny!! Thanks for the picture too!! Sorry I haven't emailed you back, trying to get my schedule back down. I should be a little more on top of it from now on. Glad you liked the salon!!! I don't have any particular place that I get my nails done, but there is a place I frequent over here by Tucson Mall that I think does a pretty good job and they are friendly. Lemme know if you want directions!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I think R needs to be banned from the kitchen; all your appliances will be ruined!

Cyndi said...

Kelly, Your story made my day! Maybe you can sell the Mickey pop tart on eBay.

Callie Nicole said...

Oh, how awful! Cute toaster though . . .

Whitney said...

That is terrible!!!!! Cute new toaster, though!

Taylor-made Wife said...

I was reading another blog and your post title caught my attention. That is hilarious. It is a very cute toaster though.

wife.mom.nurse said...

That is one cute toaster.

Yep, he should be banned from touching it!

LOL!