English Muffin Bread!
I love to bake....but I just don't feel like I have the time anymore, nor do I want to heat up my entire house during the Arizona summer.
So what does this girl do? She finds the best bread recipe that requires a minimal amount of oven and prep time!
And without further ado, I bring you this recipe!
Dry:3 Cups flour
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 Tablespoons cornmeal
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (or 1 packet) + 1/4 cup warm water (combined)
1 cup warm milk
1 Tablespoon shortening (or butter, approximate measurement)
1. Combine the yeast and warm water, and let sit.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and mix together.
3. Throw in the shortening/butter and incorporate into the dry ingredients.
4. Add the warmed milk and yeast mixture.
5. Knead for a minute or so (or if you are lazy like me, use the dough hook on your kitchenaid).
6. The original recipe said to divide the dough into 2 pans, but my bread pans are too big, so I put all the dough into 1. Before doing that, I sprayed the pan with Pam, and dusted it with cornmeal.
7. Let it rise until it's double in size....about 2 hours.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes (that's right 15 minutes!)
One tip for this finished product is that it does need to be toasted to taste the best! I hope you enjoy this recipe! The bread is relatively healthy, and you can change it up and use whole wheat flour and leave out the shortening, and I can guarantee it will still be delicious! It also freezes well!
I adapted this from a recipe found here.